Pets

What is Canine Diabetes

What is Canine DiabetesMore commonly known to torment those of us in both the developed and the developing world, diabetes is a condition that affects both human and canine bodies in one of the worst ways, by inhibiting its own ability to function and convert glucose into energy we can use properly. Diabetes is a simple problem that starts a domino effect of other, more complicated problems. In order to try to fix the problem, you also have to know why the problem is there in the first place. This is key in treating, diagnosing and understanding the disease. In different cases, it is also key in understanding your pets disease.

The root of all problems starts with the bodys production of insulin. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas. It signals the absorption of glucose from the blood. Glucose is then taken by two major organs, the liver and muscles. Both organs convert the simple sugar into glycogenor, simply energythat is stored within them to be used as the bodys source of energy, rather than unnecessarily break down fat for this purpose, which can be harmful to your body. The disadvantage of an imbalance in insulin levels is that when the body doesnt have enough of the hormone, the signal isnt sent to the body to take in glucose. The brain realizes this and turns on a switch, producing energy from the breakdown of fat.

When a person has diabetes, his or her condition indicates a lack of insulin production. Type I diabetes, or what used to be called juvenile diabetes, is prevalent in younger ages. Children and teenagers are usually the victim of type I diabetes. It connotes to zero production of insulin, which means that the food and sugars in the body that need to be broken down and converted into energysimply putare not. This is also called insulin-dependent diabetes, because the only insulin the body uses is obtained through injections. People who have type I diabetes must do insulin therapy, as well as blood tests to make sure their blood-glucose levels are satisfactory, for their entire life. Fortunately type one diabetes is only accounts for about 10% of the diabetes found in dogs.

READ MORE  Holistic Cat Foods Recipe: Ideal Cat Meals

Type II diabetes is the more common form of diabetes in both people and animals. Approximately 90% of diabetics are type II, while the other 10% are type I. Type II is the state of not having enough insulin, or having a body that resists insulin. Type II diabetes sufferers are able to get rid of symptoms through exercise and professional medical help. Unfortunately, if the problem isnt taken cared of, it progressively becomes worse. Those with this affliction, if not tended to properly, might have to take insulin or develop worse conditions in conjunction with their diabetes. Type II diabetes is completely preventable but once diagnosed, it can be managed with proper diet and exercise.

Related Post

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

NOTICE: The material on this site for informational use only and should not be taken as medical advice. This email does not constitute any doctor-patient relationship, or any other type of relationship. The material has been thoroughly researched and believed to be the most up to date information at time of publishing. This material is offered as information only and the reader has the responsibility to verify any medical decisions or actions with his or her health care team.

Copyright © 2016. Diabetes is not a disease - it's a lifestyle!!

To Top