Diabetes is a body disorder that is caused by the uncontrollable increase in blood sugar levels in the body. There are three known types of diabetes, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes.
These three types differ in diabetic diet food list and diabetic diet. This disorder occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin (the hormone that is required to reduce or regulated glucose in the blood).
Before one can determine a perfect diabetic diet food list, one must be familiar with the type of diabetes he or she is on.
Type 1 diabetes or most commonly known as juvenile diabetes, this type is pretty common among children up to young adults.
Type 2 diabetes is a disorder wherein the body has become immune or has shown resistance to the insulin it produces. This is due to obesity or excess weight that serves as a barrier for the body to effectively use insulin.
Gestational diabetes on the other hand is a special type of diabetes that is only seen among women during pregnancy stage. During pregnancy, a woman’s metabolism slows down that’s why digestion of nutrients such as proteins and sugar are much slower to break down especially in huge volumes. Gestational diabetes could lead to further complications to the mother and her unborn child.
A breakdown of diabetic diet food list:
A diabetic individual is usually given by a licensed dietician a list of food he can take regularly and things he should limit or avoid. Foods which are high in carbohydrates or glucose must be avoided if possible. It is necessary to limit foods that are high in glucose content due to inability of the body to properly use insulin.
The following are lists of food recommended for one who is suffering in type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes.
- Peaches, apples, berries and pears for fruits
- Broccoli, mushrooms, celery, cauliflower, onion and lettuce for vegetables
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach and fenugreek
- Barley, porridge and bran
- Fiber rich foods in order to increase and ensure proper bowel movement especially for those suffering in gestational diabetes.
- Soybean, millets and lentils for vegetables
- Beef, pork, lamb and veal for lean meat
- Pine nuts and peanuts
- Unsaturated margarine
- Fish like mackerel, tuna, salmon and herrings
- Fish that are rich in omega 3
- Olive oil, sesame oil, sunflower and sesame oil.